8.03.2014

Indian Rock

This is where I run to you
This is where sit
look
pray
wait
listen
This is where I am

Over the rocky crags, up chiseled stoney steps, from everywhere and nowhere
Friends, three
Talking - music, laughing, joking, taking photos [front back] for three friends 
2 Wisconsin's 1 San Franciscan 

A family, mother father two adult sons
Trying to capture the beauty of the sunset 
But neither camera, phone not panorama could
"Too orange-y"

A guy, headphones, shoes, hood on, brooding gaze
I decide he's a cousin of the friend he resembles 
Nathan

Two women move from a rocky crook further down
To see the same sunset
Less orange in real life

Nathan's cousin glances at them 
As they share a blanket
The blonde women wraps her arms around the other securing the blanket 
Her love around-what is apparent to Nathan's cousin and I-as her love

A man and women come to stand 
Looking out together
Not sitting
No plans to linger in the bay air as the night chill sets in while the sun sets
We all separately and collectively
Endure the cold nipping at finger, toes, and nose
We endure I suppose 
To feel small amidst the scene of the bay, oakland to San Rafael spread across the sky
To take in the fading night
To sit with the ones we love
To sit with the thoughts of what we love

Nathan's cousin looks on at the man and women
Now in each other's embrace 
Exchanging a kiss
He thinks [I think] reminders of a longing just below the surface of my skin
Not hard to awaken
Not hard to find

But the view
My God ushers me to
Not stay in my small thoughts
I melt into the roaring, urging universe
Small being with small thoughts
See the entirety
Do not settle 

A family, father and two daughters 
He walks behind holding flowers they picked along their walk
The youngest climbs to the top telling to young women
Once young girls
"My dad let's us sit up here"
The young woman replies "It's only fitting; it's the most beautiful spot"

Separately
Collectively
We
Seek to feel small
We climb, walk, crawl, fly, run to look for something greater than us

We seek to feel big
Important 
Our existence meaningful
Reaching 
Working
Unsatisfied
Waiting
Hoping
Despairing
Satisfied
Misguided
Deceived
Aware

Here is where I run to you
Here is where I feel small
& though I grasp for the sands of the night slipping through the crevices between my fingers
Night has fallen
Family, friends, lovers leave

I go praying that I carry this view as I walk down the chiseled stoney steps.

No comments: